Instead of broccoli, we shake things up by adding the cabbage-like crunch and tender leaves of baby bok choy to this stir-fry dish.
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tbsp plus 1 tsp cornstarch, divided
- 1/4 cup canola oil, divided
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 tbsp sesame oil, divided
- 4 4-oz baby bok choy, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tbsp sliced jalapeño
- Toss chicken with 3 tbsp cornstarch; shake off excess. Heat 3 tbsp canola oil in a large non-stick skillet over high. Add chicken; cook until browned, about 8 minutes. Set aside; wipe skillet clean.
- Combine orange juice, soy sauce, vinegar, honey, red pepper, and remaining 1 tsp cornstarch; set aside. Heat skillet over medium; add 1 tbsp sesame oil and half of bok choy; cook until browned. Remove from skillet; repeat with remaining 1 tbsp sesame oil and bok choy. Return all bok choy to skillet. Reduce heat to low; add 1/4 cup water. Cover and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with salt. Set aside.
- Add ginger, garlic, and remaining 1 tbsp canola oil to skillet; cook over medium 2 minutes. Add orange juice mixture; cook until thickened. Stir in chicken. Divide among 4 plates; sprinkle with sesame seeds and jalapeño, and serve with bok choy. Serves 4 (serving size: 3 oz chicken and 2 bok choy halves).
I chose to serve this with Bacon-Leek Mashed Potatoes. The high starch content of Yukon Gold potatoes yields a fluffy, creamy mash while leeks add prebiotic fiber; the bacon adds salty flavor.
- 1 lb quartered Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
- 2 center-cut bacon slices
- 1 cup chopped leeks
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- Cook potatoes in simmering water until tender, 20 minutes.
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium-high until crispy. Remove and crumble bacon; add leeks to skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 8 minutes.
- Drain potatoes; mash with milk, sour cream, salt, pepper, and leeks. Top with chives and crumbled bacon. Serves 4 (serving size: 2/3 cup).