These crispy cakes are essentially mini-versions of cheesy broccoli-and-rice casserole. Make them ahead and freeze for a last-minute meal.
- Cooking spray
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3/4 cup unsalted vegetable stock
- 12 oz fresh broccoli florets, cut into 1/2-in pieces
- 1 8.8-oz pkg precooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat panko
- 1 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/8 tsp kosher salt
- 3 oz preshredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Sliced green onions
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high. Add onion and garlic; sauté 4 minutes. Add stock and broccoli. Bring to a boil; cook 3 minutes.
- Heat rice according to package directions. Combine broccoli mixture, rice, panko, mustard, pepper, salt, and 1/2 cup cheese in a large bowl. Stir in eggs. Divide and shape broccoli mixture into 8 patties. Arrange patties on prepared pan; coat patties with cooking spray. Bake at 450°F for 15 minutes. Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese, and bake at 450°F for 4 more minutes or until cheese melts. Garnish with green onions. Serves 4 (serving size: 2 cakes).
While you’re cooking the broccoli mixture from the previous recipe, you can make Sweet-and-Spicy Carrots and Peas. Just a little brown sugar helps the carrots caramelize quickly.
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground red pepper
- 1 12 oz pkg small carrots
- 1 3/4 cups snow peas
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine oil, brown sugar, cumin, red pepper, and carrots on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 450°F for 12 minutes. Add snow peas to pan; bake 5 more minutes or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned. Sprinkle with salt. Serves 4 (serving size: 1/2 cup).