You can amp up canned black beans by simmering them with sautéed bell pepper, onion, and cumin and finishing with a splash of vinegar.
- 2 tsp cracked coriander seeds
- 2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 lb flank steak
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp unsalted tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 15-oz can unsalted black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Combine coriander, black pepper, and 1/2 tsp salt in a bowl. Rub steak with 1 tbsp oil and spice mixture. Coat grill with cooking spray. Add steak to grill; cook 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare or until desired degree of doneness. Place steak on a cutting board; let stand 5 minutes. Cut across the grain into thin slices.
- Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in a medium skillet over medium-high. Add onions and bell pepper; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and cumin; cook 30 seconds. Add remaining 1/2 tsp salt, stock, vinegar, and beans; cook 3 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Serve with steak. Serves 4 (serving size: 3 oz. steak and 1/2 cup bean mixture).
While the steak is resting, you can prepare Elote-Style Zucchini Noodles. Elote, which is corn dressed with chile and a creamy drizzle, pairs with spiralized zucchini noodles for a nice summer salad.
- 3/4 cup fresh corn kernels
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 large zucchini, trimmed and spiralized into thin noodles
- 2 tbsp light sour cream
- 2 tsp water
- 2 tbsp crumbled queso fresco cheese
- 1/8 tsp ground red pepper
- Place first 6 ingredients in a bowl; toss. Combine sour cream and water; drizzle over zucchini mixture. Top with cheese and red pepper. Serves 4 (serving size: about 1/2 cup).