Here’s a low-fat version of this classic comfort food that doesn’t take long to cook at all..
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock, divided
- 1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 3 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 2.25 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions, divided
- 4 tsp canola oil, divided
- 1 tbsp minced garlic, divided
- 1 tbsp honey, divided
- 1 16-ounce package chopped collard greens
- 1 1/4 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 2 tsp paprika
- Bring 3/4 cup stock, milk, 1/2 tsp pepper, and1/8 tsp salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Whisk in grits; cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in cheese. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup onions. Keep grits warm.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tsp oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add remaining 1/2 cup onions and 2 tsp garlic to pan; sauté 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 cup stock, 1 tsp honey, remaining 1/8 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper; bring to a boil. Cook 6 minutes or until reduced to about 1/4 cup. Add greens to pan; cover and cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove mixture from pan; keep warm.
- Return pan to medium high-heat. Combine shrimp, remaining 2 tsp pepper, remaining 2 tsp oil, remaining 1 tsp minced garlic, remaining 2 tsp honey, and paprika in a bowl; toss gently to coat. Add shrimp to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until done. Add remaining 1/4 cup stock to pan; cook 1 minute, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Serve shrimp with grits and greens. Serves 4 (serving size: about 2/3 cup grits, about 1/2 cup greens, and one-fourth of shrimp).