We make our own spice blend here, so that we can control the sodium and use fresh ingredients.
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp grated fresh garlic
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 lb skinless, boneless, chicken breasts, cut into 1-in pieces
- 16 oz multicolored cherry tomatoes
- 2 large orange bell peppers, cut into 1-in pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into 1-in pieces
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat grill to high.
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a bowl. Thread chicken onto 4 10-inch skewers. Thread tomatoes, bell peppers, and onion alternately onto 8 10-inch skewers. Brush chicken and vegetable kebabs with half of buttermilk mixture.
- Coat grill with cooking spray. Place kebabs on grill; grill 5 minutes. Turn and grill 5 minutes or until chicken is done, brushing chicken and vegetables with remaining buttermilk mixture. Remove kebabs from grill. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Serves 4 (serving size: 1 chicken kebab and 2 vegetable kebabs).
I chose to serve this with Cheddar and Almond Broccoli Salad. We microwave the broccoli for about half the suggested time so it maintains its texture instead of becoming soggy.
- 1 12-oz package fresh steam-in-bag broccoli florets
- 3 tbsp shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp canola mayonnaise
- 1 oz. 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp minced red onion
- 1 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tbsp sliced almonds, toasted
- Place broccoli package in microwave; microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Combine cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, and cream cheese in a large bowl. Add broccoli, onion, and next 5 ingredients (through garlic), stirring to combine. Sprinkle with almonds. Serves 4 (serving size: 3/4 cup).