A food processor can bring these cakes together in minutes.
- 2 1/2 tbsp EVOO, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, divided
- 1 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups brown lentils, pre-cooked
- 2 cups packed baby arugula
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- 3 tbsp chopped unsalted pistachios
- Heat 1 1/2 tsp oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Place onion mixture, oats, 1tbsp vinegar, 3/4 tsp salt, pepper, eggs, and lentils in a food processor; pulse 3 to 4 times until smooth. Shape mixture into 12 patties.
- Heat 1 1/2 tsp oil in pan over medium-high. Add 6 patties to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side. Remove from pan. Repeat with 1 1/2 tsp oil and remaining 6 patties.
- Combine remaining 1 tbsp vinegar and remaining 1 tbsp oil in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add arugula and spinach; toss.
- Combine remaining 1/4 tsp salt, yogurt, juice, and mint in a bowl. Divide arugula mixture among 4 plates; top each serving with 3 patties and 2 tbsp yogurt mixture. Sprinkle evenly with pistachios. Serves 4.
I chose to serve this with Bacon-and-Apple Braised Cabbage. We add sweet (brown sugar) and tangy (sherry cooking wine) flavors toward the end of braising, so that they both stand out. You can also serve this with roast pork or braised beef.
- 2 chopped turkey bacon slices
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 6 cups chopped red cabbage
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups chopped Fuji apple
- 3 tbsp sherry cooking wine
- 2 tsp light brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp unsalted butter
- Cook bacon slices in a saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add 1 tsp fennel seeds; cook 30 seconds. Add cabbage and water; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in apple, sherry, sugar, pepper, and salt. Cover and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in butter. Serves 4 (serving size: 3/4 cup).