This is a fast, healthy meal that doesn’t need a lot of work. You can even make the chop the chard mixture and make the tomato vinaigrette in advance, to make as a quick weeknight dinner.
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp capers, drained
- 6 tbsp EVOO, divided
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and sliced into thin strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and sliced into thin strips
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch chard, leaves and top portion of stems, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 6-oz butterflied boneless rainbow trout, heads and tails removed
- 1/4 cup pitted Niçoise olives
- 5 thyme sprigs
- Heat a large cast-iron pan or grill pan over high. Ad tomato slices to pan; cook 6 minutes on each side or until well charred. Place tomatoes in a blender. Add parsley, capers, 1/4 cup EVOO, rosemary, juice, vinegar, 2 garlic cloves, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper; blend until smooth.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add 1 tbsp oil to pan. Ad bell peppers, shallot, and sliced garlic cloves; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add chard; sauté 2 minutes or until just wilted. Remove from heat; stir in chopped basil.
- Sprinkle trout inside and out evenly with remaining 1/4 tsp salt and remaining 1/2 tsp pepper. Place about 1/2 cup chard mixture in each butterflied trout and fold halves back together.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread charred tomato mixture in bottom of a 9×13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Sprinkle olives over tomato mixture; spread thyme sprigs over mixture. Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add 2 stuffed trout to pan; cook 2 minutes or until skin is golden brown. Turn trout over; cook 2 minutes. Place browned trout in prepared baking dish. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 trout. Place baking dish in oven; bake at 400°F for 12 minutes or until trout is just cooked through. Serves 4 (serving size: 1 stuffed trout).