Wow! I really haven’t updated it quite some time! I’ve missed you guys. Multicolored baby bell peppers keep their texture but taste wonderful with the quick pickling technique included here. Instead of adding salt to the pickling liquid, we stir it into the finished relish so no flavor will be lost.
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced sweet mini bell peppers
- 1/2 cup packed fresh flat-lead parsley leaves
- 4 tbsp EVOO, divided
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp ancho chile powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 4 6-oz bone-in, center-cut pork chops
- Bring vinegar, water, and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove pan from heat; add bell peppers. Let stand 15 minutes; drain. Combine peppers, parsley, 2 tbsp oil, and 1/2 tsp salt in a bowl.
- Heat 3 tsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Combine remaining salt, chile powder, and cumin in a small bowl. Rub pork chops with remaining 3 tsp oil and spice mixture. Add pork to pan; cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer inserted in the center registers 145°F. Top pork evenly with bell pepper mixture. Serves 4 (serving size: 1 pork chop and about 1/2 cup pepper mixture).
I chose to serve this with Charred Snap Peas with Creamy Tarragon Dressing. Summer can make us crave the flavors of fire, but grilling isn’t necessarily an option during the week. With a good enough skillet, you can make snap peas that are crisp and tender, but also take on the smoky char in less than 5 minutes. The dressing goes well with the vegetables.
- 4 tbsp plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 4 tbsp whole buttermilk
- 4 tsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 3 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add snap peas; cook 3 minutes or until crisp-tender, and lightly charred, stirring occasionally. Drizzle with yogurt mixture. Serves 4 (serving size: about 3/4 cup).