You’ll love the old-school feel of this skillet supper. If you can’t find whole-wheat panko, sauté fresh whole-wheat crumbs until crisp.
- 6 ounces uncooked no-yolk egg noodles
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 5-ounce can solid white albacore tuna packed in water, drained and broken into chunks
- 1.5 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat broiler to low.
- Fill a large saucepan with water; bring to a boil. Add noodles; cook 3 minutes or until al dente. Drain. Heat a 10-inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add oil and butter; swirl until butter melts. Add onion and celery; sauté 6 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle flour over pan; cook 45 seconds. Add milk, gradually, stirring constantly while doing so. Stir in peas and next 7 ingredients (through tuna). Remove pan from heat; gently stir in noodles. Sprinkle breadcrumbs and cheese over top. Broil 2 minutes or until topping is lightly browned. Serves 4 (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups).
I chose to serve this with an Orange and Almond Salad.
- 2 medium navel oranges
- 5 cups mixed baby greens
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds, toasted
- 4 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Dash of freshly ground black pepper
- Peel and section oranges. Combine orange sections, greens, almonds, oil, and vinegar; toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serves 4 (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups).