A variety of textures from crunchy peas to tender vegetables to smooth coconut broth makes this main dish for cool-weather very satisfying. You can also turn the chickpea mixture into a gluten-free snack bu tossing with a little kosher salt, ground cumin, and ground red pepper after baking.
- 1 15-ounce can unsalted chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp EVOO, divided
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 tbsp minced fresh garlic
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 cup cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 cup fresh cauliflower florets
- 1 cup diced red potatoes
- 4 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- Lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place chickpeas on a rimmed baking sheet; pat dry. Add 1 tbsp EVOO to chikpeas; toss to coat. Spread chickpeas in an even layer on pan. Bake at 450°F for 30 minutes. Add green peas to pan; bake at 450°F for 5 minutes or until chickpeas and green peas are crisp.
- While the chickpeas are baking, heat a large Dutch oven over medium. Add remaining 2 tbsp oil; swirl to coat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add flour and curry powder; cook 1 1/2 minutes or until flour begins to brown, stirring constantly. Stir in butternut squash, cauliflower, and potatoes. Add vegetable stock, pepper, and salt; bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove pan from heat; stir in coconut milk. Place about 1 1/2 cups vegetable mixture in each of 4 bowls; top each serving with about 1/3 cup chickpea mixture. Serve with lime wedges. Serves 4.
While the curry is simmering, make some Cilantro-Habanero Couscous as a side.
- 1 cup unsalted vegetable stock
- 2/3 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
- 3/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro stems
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 3 habanero peppers, sliced
- Bring stock to a boil in a small saucepan. Add couscous, salt, and pepper. Cover; remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes. Uncover; stir in cilantro, oil, and peppers. Serves 4 (serving size: 3/4 cup).