Diced tomato and a dollop of garlicky pesto add freshness and color to this quick chicken-pasta soup. Searing the chicken thighs first creates browned bits that end up adding a savory richness to the broth.
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 9-ounce package whole-wheat cheese tortellini
- 1 5-ounce package spinach
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup diced seeded tomato
- 1/4 cup refrigerated pesto
- Heat a Dutch oven over high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add chicken; cook 4 minutes, browning on all sides. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds. Add stock; bring to a boil. Add tortellini; reduce heat to medium, and simmer 6 minutes or until tortellini are done. Stir in spinach, salt, and pepper. Divide soup among 4 bowls; top evenly with tomato and pesto. Serves 4 (serving size: 1 1/2 cups).