Make sure to arrange the oven racks on the top and bottom thirds of the oven before preheating. The pizza crust will get browned and crisp on the bottom rack, and the suggested side (recipe follows this one) will char nicely on the top rack.
- 12 ounces fresh refrigerated fresh pizza dough
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano, divided
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp cornmeal
- 2 8-ounce link chicken sausages, made into small meatballs
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 ounce Manchego cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a pizza stone or heavy baking sheet on bottom oven rack (keep the pizza stone or baking sheet in oven as it preheats).
- Place the dough in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; pierce liberally with a fork. Microwave at HIGH 10 seconds. Discard plastic wrap.
- Combine garlic, 2 tsp oregano, oil, and vinegar in a small bowl. Roll pizza dough to a 14-inch oval on a lightly floured surface. Carefully remove pizza stone or baking sheet from oven. Sprinkle cornmeal over pizza stone; arrange dough on stone. Brush dough evenly with oil mixture; top with sausage, bell pepper, and cheese. Bake at 450°F for 13 minutes or until edges are browned. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp oregano and crushed red pepper. Slice pizza into 8 slices. Serves 4 (serving size: 2 slices).
I suggest serving this with Blistered Green Beans and Tomatoes. If you can’t find multi-colored grape tomatoes, 2 cups of regular grape tomatoes serve just as well.
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups multicolored grape tomatoes
- 12 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 1/4 cup small fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a jelly-roll pan on top rack in oven (keep pan in oven as it preheats).
- Combine oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add tomatoes and green beans; toss to coat. Carefully add green bean mixture to preheated pan; bake at 450°F for 10 minutes, stirring after 5. Turn on broiler (do not remove pan from oven). Broil 5 minutes or until tomatoes begin to char. Remove pan from oven. Sprinkle with basil. Serves 4 (serving size: about 3/4 cup).