Sorry it’s been so long since posting a recipe. I’ve been taking a bit of a break from social media for the time being. My WordPress blog is an exception of course 🙂
A wide skillet and less liquid allows for a relatively short, intense braise—less than 20 minutes compared to many hour-long versions. You should definitely cook these chicken thighs with egg noodles. I used spaghetti tossed with lemon juice and red pepper, because I thought the bagger at Kroger left the egg noodles out of my bag, only to find them after I cooked this meal. Oh well!
- 6 ounces uncooked no-yolk egg noodles
- 3 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 4 6-ounce bone-in chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 8-ounce package cremini mushrooms, halved
- 3/4 cup India pale ale beer
- 3/4 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
- Combine 3 tbsp flour, thyme, and paprika in a large zip-top plastic bag. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 tsp salt. Add chicken to bag; seal. Turn to coat.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Remove chicken from flour mixture; discard flour mixture. Add chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes or until browned. Turn chicken; cook 2 minutes. Remove chicken from pan (chicken will not be cooked through at this point). Add onion and mushrooms to pan; cook 5 minutes or until mushrooms are browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining 1 1/2 tsp flour, remaining 1/4 tsp salt, beer, stock, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes. Return chicken to pan. Reduce heat and cook, partially covered, 15 minutes or until chicken is done. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with noodles. Serves 4 (serving size: 1 chicken thigh, 1/2 cup sauce, and 1/2 cup noodles).
While the chicken is simmering, consider making a Parsley-Fennel Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette. The recipe follows.
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 3/4 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 medium fennel (anise) bulb, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Dash of sugar.
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a bowl. Combine oil and remaining ingredients in a bowl; add to arugula mixture. Toss. Serves 4 (serving size: about 1 cup).