In this dish, the skillet is used in some clever ways. The chicken and vegetables get a head start on the stove, finish in the oven, then get briefly removed so a simple cream sauce can pick up all the roasted flavors in the pan.
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 4 6-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 8 ounces baby carrots
- 8 ounces small red potatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 8 thin lemon slices
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 3/4 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 5 minutes or until golden brown. Turn and cook 2 minutes. Remove chicken from pan. Place carrots and potatoes, cut side down, in pan; sprinkle with thyme. Place pan in oven; bake at 425°F for 10 minutes. Return chicken to pan; top with lemon slices. Bake at 425°F for 12 minutes. Remove pan from oven. Place chicken and vegetables on a plate.
- Combine 1/2 cup milk, flour, and rind in a bowl. Return pan to medium-high heat (do not wipe out pan). Add flour mixture, remaining 1 cup milk, and stock to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; cook 3 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 tsp sea salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Add chicken and vegetables to pan. Sprinkle with parsley. Serves 4 (serving size: 1 chicken breast half, about 3/4 cup vegetables, and 1/2 cup sauce).
I chose to serve this with Green Beans with Warm Mustard Vinaigrette.
- 2 8-ounce packages microwave-in-bag green beans
- 1 1/2 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp stone-ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp EVOO
- Cook beans according to package directions. Combine vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beans; sauté 3 to 4 minutes. Add mustard mixture; toss. Serves 4 (serving size: about 1 1/2 cup).