Root beer adds a warm caramel flavor to these family-friendly favorites. Serve with baked sweet potato wedges or chips.
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 3/4 cup prechopped onion
- 12 ounces 90% lean ground sirloin
- 1/2 cup unsalted tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup bottled chili sauce
- 1/4 cup root beer (I used A&W 10 to reduce calories even further)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onion; cook 3 minutes. Add beef; cook 4 minutes or until beef begins to brown, stirring to crumble. Stir in tomato sauce and next 7 ingredients (through tomato paste); bring to a simmer. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Divide beef mixture evenly among bottom halves of buns; top with top halves of buns. Serves 4 (serving size: 1 sandwich).