Using lean chicken breasts allows this chicken cacciatore to be done in less than 25 minutes, compared to the hour-long braise required by most cacciatore recipes. If you don’t like your food so spicy, reduce the crushed red pepper to 1/4 tsp.
- 1 1/2 tbsp EVOO, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 6-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
- 1 8-ounce package presliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Chianti
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil, divided
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- Combine 1 1/2 tsp EVOO, rosemary, garlic, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Rub oil mixture evenly over chicken. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side (chicken will not be cooked through). Remove chicken from pan. Add remaining 1 tbsp EVOO to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, bell peppers, and mushrooms; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add wine; cook 1 minute or until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in 1/4 cup basil, crushed red pepper, and tomatoes; cook 1 minute. Return chicken to pan; turn to coat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is done. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup basil. Serves 4 (serving size: 1 chicken breast half and about 1 cup sauce).
While the chicken is simmering, consider making Parmesan Polenta Rounds as a side. Directions follow.
- Cooking spray
- 8 ounces prepared polenta, cut into 8 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 tbsp finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Heat an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add polenta to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and butter. Broil 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese melts. Serves 4 (serving size: 2 polenta rounds).