Make sure to let the meat rest after this steak cooks before slicing so the juices can redistribute.
- 3 tsp EVOO, divided
- 4 tsp chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3/4 pound medium red potatoes, quartered
- 8 ounces sirloin steak, trimmed
- 3 tbsp minced shallots
- 1/4 cup merlot
- 1 cup unsalted beef stock
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine 2 tsp oil, 2 tsp thyme, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and potatoes in a bowl. Spread potato mixture in an even layer on a baking sheet; bake at 400°F for 30 minutes, or until browned, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Heat a medium ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add remaining 1 tsp oil; swirl. Sprinkle steak with remaining 1/4 tsp salt and remaining 1/4 tsp pepper. Add steak to pan; cook 10 minutes, turning to brown all sides. Place pan in oven; bake at 400°F for 12 minutes for medium-rare or until desired degree of doneness. Place steak on a cutting board; let stand 5 minutes.
- Wipe out pan with paper towels. Heat pan over medium-high heat. Add remaining 2 tsp thyme and shallots to pan; sauté 30 seconds. Add wine; cook until liquid almost evaporates, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add stock; cook 4 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 1/3 cup. Remove pan from heat; stir in butter. Cut steak across the grain into thin slices. Divide steak between 2 plates; drizzle with red wine sauce. Serve with potatoes. Serves 2 (serving size: 3 ounces steak, 2 tbsp sauce, and 1 cup potatoes).
While the steak is cooking, consider making Garlicky Spinach as a side. Add the spinach as soon as the garlic turns golden so that it won’t burn.
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 5-ounce bag fresh spinach
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes or just until garlic begins to sizzle and turn golden. Add the spinach, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring until wilted. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serves 2 (serving size: 1/2 cup).