Cumin, cinnamon, and red pepper add warmth to this sweet potato hash.
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 3 cups diced peeled sweet potato
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp adobo sauce
- 1 15.5-ounce can unsalted black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 1/4 cup unsalted pumpkinseeds
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and diced
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl. Add potato, oregano, and 1/2 tsp salt; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cumin, cinnamon, red pepper, and garlic; cook 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup water; cover, reduce heat, and cook 5 minutes. Uncover; cook 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Bring remaining 3/4 cup water to a boil in a saucepan. Add remaining 1/4 tsp salt and green beans; cook 4 minutes. Stir in adobo sauce and black beans. Place 1/2 cup potato mixture in each of 4 shallow bowls; top each with 1/2 cup bean mixture, 2 tbsp cheese, 1 tbsp pumpkinseeds, and 1 tbsp tomato. Serves 4.
I chose to serve this with Grilled Onion Salad with Lime Vinaigrette. Directions follow.
- Cooking spray
- 1 small white onion, cut into 3/4-inch wedges
- 1 small red onion, cut into 3/4-inch wedges
- 4 green onions, halved crosswise
- 3 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3/8 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups baby arugula leaves
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Arrange white and red onions on pan; grill 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Place grilled onions in a large bowl. Add green onions to pan; grill 2 minutes on each side. Add to onion mixture; cover with plastic wrap. Let stand 10 minutes. Add oil, juice, and salt; toss to coat. Add arugula, radishes and cilantro; toss to ccoat.