This meal is so tasty and takes maybe at most 20 minutes. The nut-free pesto trades traditional pine nuts and Parmesan for broccoli and a nutty-tasting picorino Romano. Anchovies add meatiness, but they are optional.
I chose not to coat the noodles. I included the steps for coating them in the recipe however.
- 8 oz. uncooked whole-wheat angel hair pasta
- 1 12-oz. package microwave-in-bag fresh broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp grated fresh lemon rind
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 anchovies, drained
- 1 oz. percorino Romano cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain pasta in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid.
- Cook broccoli according to package directions; cool 5 minutes. Combine broccoli and remaining ingredients in the bowl of a food processor or blender; pulse until finely chopped. With processor/blender on, slowly add reserved 1 cup cooking liquid through food chute until sauce reaches desired consistency. Place broccoli mixture in a large bowl; add pasta, and toss to combine. Serve immediately. Serves 4.